Over a hundred people came together at the top of Greenhall Hill, Llanfyllin on Sunday morning (8th February) to help unveil the newly-carved commemorative stone marking the Lonely Tree as Welsh Tree of the Year 2014.
The weather was perfect and the views of the rising mist shrouding the surrounding countryside, stunning.
Local celebrity and TV wildlife presenter Iolo Williams, introduced by the Mayor of Llanfyllin, Ann Williams, gave a stirring speech about the value of local community before removing the Welsh flag covering the stone. The stone is taken from Greenhall farm and has been carved by Llansilin artist John Neilson with the text “LONELY TREE Welsh Tree of the Year 2014” and “Y GOEDEN UNIG Coeden Y Flwyddyn 2014“. Welsh one side and English the other.
Ruth and Ken Powell performed their great song “The Tree” – written by Dave Walmisley that they’ve dedicated to the Lonely Tree, despite their guitar falling overboard on the way up! Everyone who made it up the hill was rewarded with Lonely Tree lollipops and pine-flavoured chocolate.
The tree is currently the entry for Wales in the 2015 European Tree of the Year – and you can vote by using the button below. It’s currently trailing in 11th place out of 14 – you can see the constantly updated vote scores here.
Vote throughout February 2015 by going to the European Tree of the Year page…
Video of the event
Gallery of the event
Please feel free to download and use the images. Images are taken by David Goodman unless otherwise stated.
More photos by Rory Francis from the Woodland Trust: https://www.flickr.com/photos/roryfrancis/sets/72157650297229800/
Full resolution here https://www.flickr.com/photos/dave-goodman/sets/72157650307024037/
If you have any further information on this topic please contact us or use the comment section below.
- Marchnad Nadolig Llanfyllin Christmas Market 2017 October 13, 2017
- Twenty Seven reasons to be cheerful at Cae Bodfach October 13, 2017
- Waste and recycling collection rounds to be improved October 11, 2017
- Review of the Community and Town Council Sector October 10, 2017
- Llanfyllin Photography Competition 2017 October 4, 2017
- Businesses on
- Events on
- Llanfyllin Civic Society on
- LLANFYLLIN WILL SOON HAVE A COMMUNITY ORCHARD! on
- MontytraX – a walking cycling and riding network in North Montgomeryshire on